Friday, February 26, 2010

The Cowboy Way

I always did like cowboys. Now, I don't mean the ones that dress up in their well-pressed Wranglers, put on a Stetson hat, jump in their pickup that has never ever left a concrete road, to go to the local honkey tonk to line dance in some downtown metropolis. I mean, I like real honest to goodness cowboys.

I admire and respect those men and women that have worked hard ranching. It would seem that there is something about having to be responsible for a herd of livestock's' well being and everything that it takes to do that that typically creates a man or woman of uncommonly good sense.

To this day, I cannot think of a single real cowboy or cowgirl that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting that has not exhibited this uncommonly good sense. A cowboy's sense of right and wrong, fair play, and justice is almost infallible. They are straight shooters and tell it like it is. They tend to see the world in more of the black and white shades that it often times truly is, rather than the myriad shades of gray that nearly all our politicians couch their positions in of moral relativism nowadays.

President Reagan was often called a cowboy by his critics. He returned to his ranch in California as often as he could when he was president. Perhaps that is why I liked and respected the man so much. I suspect it will take another cowboy sitting in the oval office to clean up the mess that the current goat-roper will leave us.

With this being said, an old Navy buddy who lives in Texas forwarded this short video to me. It kind of gives you an idea of why I like cowboys. Too bad the breed seems to be a lot harder to come by these days when we really could use a lot more to keep us all grounded in common sense.

No comments: