Friday, January 22, 2010

Happy Birthday to My Baby Girl















Today my baby girl turns eighteen. Where in the world did these past eighteen years go to so quickly? Heck, it seems like just yesterday that I brought her home from the hospital with her mom. She really has grown up so quickly from being the funniest little girl into the beautiful young lady that she is now. (Thank God that she got her beautiful looks from momma!)

I am very proud of the person she has been in the past and has become in the present. She has always been very bright and had a quirky sense of humor. (No idea at all where the humor part comes from! :) )

More importantly though she has always strived far harder than most people I know to do the right thing, particularly when it comes to being a good Christian and helping others. (That she gets from her mom too.)

I have seen her dedicate so much of her time to help those less fortunate than her simply for the joy of doing so. She spent her last two summers helping out people living at two of the poorest Indian reservations in the country by doing any number of things from taking care of children there to helping paint houses of the people living there. She WANTED to spend part of her summer vacation doing this.

Her sense of justice is more highly tuned than mine ever was at her age, and perhaps so even at my current age. I have tried to teach her what I know over the years, along with her mom. In doing so, it is not unusual for her to end up teaching me even more than I ever taught her. She truly has grasped the best parts that we had to offer as her parents. I am very proud as her Father, and thankful to God to be blessed with such a wonderful daughter.

Happy birthday, honey! I love you with all of my heart!

3 comments:

Matt said...

What a wonderful celebration of life on Roe v Wade day! Your contradiction of the self-worshiping Supreme Court is duly noted and appreciated.

You certainly raised her with the proper values and common sense one needs in today's fallen world. Congratulations to your entire family.

Darrell Michaels said...

Thanks for the kind words, Matt. Yes, God has indeed blessed us with our three terrific daughters.

My youngest is certainly one that celebrates life and has the moral courage to stand-up and speak out against the culture of death that is so prevalant in this country today, often at the risk of being mocked and ridiculed. That in itself is a sad commentary of many kids her age today.

She does indeed make my wife and me very proud.

Cynicbritt said...

Dad, you taught alot of the things I know along with mom. I hope I can always make you proud. I love you very much.