Monday, March 29, 2010

The Beginning of Holy Week

After Palm Sunday yesterday, Holy Week begins and I think it is important that I put aside earthly matters for far more important things during what is the most important and holiest week of the year for Christians.


Thursday this week is the celebration of Christ's last supper with his disciples and from where the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist is given to us.


(From the Gospel of Luke, chapter 2o.)

"19 Then he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.'

20 He did the same with the cup after supper, and said,
'This cup is the new covenant in my blood poured out for you.' "



This Friday is Good Friday and commemorates the day of the crucifixion of our Lord on the cross at Calvary so that all of mankind's' sins may be expiated, even my own many many sins.


This Saturday is the Easter Vigil and on this day we will welcome 43 new people that have spent the better part of the past year going through RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) with classes every Tuesday, rites and retreats, in order that they could learn the Christian Catholic faith and partake of the sacraments of baptism (if not already baptised), confirmation, and first communion. It is a very beautiful and wonderful Mass that these people have journeyed towards for a long time now. Their faith journey this far in their lives has taught me much about my own journey.


And of course on Sunday is Easter when we celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ; the Holiest day of the year and the culminating and apex event of the Christian world.


I did not want this week to be just like any other week, because it absolutely is not. So for this week, I will not direct my attentions away towards politics or other comparably frivolous matters, but rather will direct my heart, soul, and the prayers that come forth from them towards God during this holiest of weeks. I pray that all that read this will have a blessed week also during Holy Week.

No comments: